Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Sister

So as you may or may not know my sister is due in July. 3 weeks from tomorrow actually. She hasn't had one single u/s throughout her entire preg.nancy. She believes it's harmful to the baby's ears. I've done my research on it and I think she's overreacting but, fine. It's her baby not mine. She is also not seeing a dr. and not giving birth in a hospital. She is having a mid wife only and giving birth in her home. That's just a little background info on her and her pre.gna.ncy. Well, today she is going in for an u/s against her best wishes. Her mid wife believes she may have pl.ace.nta pr.evi.a. I thought she was going to have this u/s to make sure baby was head down. She said she already knows the baby is head down. How do they tell this without an u/s??? Anyone know? Anyway, I'm pretty worried about her. She wants NO medical intervention whatsoever with this birth so i'm worried about what she's going to do if she does have pla.cen.ta pre.via. Any research I've done, and it hasn't been much, suggests a c-se.c.ti.on for this. I'm worried she'll fight this and insist on a natural birth. We'll know more this afternoon after her appointment. Please keep her in your prayers today and her LO too of course. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Ummm, ok. I'm all for everyone choosing their own medical treatment, but does she know how dangerous it could be to argue that? I've found some really good, reliable articles on it. Keep in mind that any info & stats are probably assuming that women will have "routine" modern prenatal.

    I do hope all goes well & she's still able to have the delivery she wants. But really, a delivery plan is not worth risking both their lives!

    Here are links to what I found-
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_placenta-previa_830.bc

    http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/placentaprevia/a/previa.htm

    and here's another cool one about u/s-
    http://video.about.com/pregnancy/Ultrasound.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! A co-worker of mine was the same way although she did have one u/s during her pregnancy. I was worried about her, because now-a-days without medical intervention a lot of things could go wrong. She gave birth in her bathtub at home and everything turned out fine thankfully!

    I will keep your sister in my prayers that things look normal on her u/s and she has a healthy labor and delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your sister is okay and doesn't have any issues. If she does I hope she wakes up and gets some medical attention! I can't believe she hasn't had or even wanted an u/s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother was worried about me having too many ultrasounds...sent a bunch of links to me - all of them were about repeated ultrasounds with a long duration of exposure. Tests found that it can cause brain damage, but I dont think that the average amount of u/s's would do any harm.

    Some people are a lot more cautious, but there may be a time when medical attention will be needed. Lets hope she will do what is best for her and her baby...better yet, I hope she is okay and doesnt have any issues whatsoever!! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete